There’s a lot of hype about Ebola, and, as is often the case, it’s hard to sort out truth from misinformation or even disinformation. Many in the general public will draw the wrong conclusions. What about you? If you or a family member gets flu symptoms, will you panic, thinking instantly you’ve somehow been exposed to this awful killer? We need to know certain things about Ebola to be able to put it into proper perspective.
A few weeks back I wrote a short post raising several provocative questions. But to give you down to earthinfo on Ebola, I featured a video by Joe Alton, M.D., also known as Dr. Bones, and you can view it here. Dr. Bones has written several articles on Ebola in recent months and has been out front on developments we as preppers should know about if we’re to stay informed and keep cool heads.
With that in mind, I asked Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy to be my guests on DestinySurvival Radio this week. Amy ducked out after the beginning of the conversation, leaving Joe to answer my questions. I think you’ll find it to be an informative exchange.
But before I get to that, here’s a refresher on who Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy are.
My Chosen Medical Resource
Joe Alton, M.D., also known as Dr. Bones, is an M.D. and fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American College of OB/GYN. Amy Alton, A.R.N.P., also known as Nurse Amy, is an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner. Together, they’re the authors of the Number One Amazon bestseller in Survival Skills and Safety and First Aid, The Survival Medicine Handbook. They’re well known speakers, podcasters, and YouTubers, as well as contributors to leading survival/homesteading magazines…
Nurse Amy is a certified nurse midwife as well, and an expert on herbal remedies and essential oils. She has one of the largest medicinal gardens in the state of Florida. She has also written articles on survival gardening and natural remedies for Survivalist and Backwoods Home Magazine.
Their most recent project is the new survival board game called Doom and Bloom’s SURVIVAL! As fate would have it, the game’s backdrop is the aftermath of a pandemic. View my previous post about it here. Get more info at www.survivalboardgame.com.
The mission of the Altons is To put a medically prepared person in every family for disaster situations.
Questions That Make You Go Hmmm…
- What sets this outbreak apart from Ebola outbreaks in the past?
- Could this become like the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic?
- Are good medical and sanitation practices enough to keep Ebola at bay if it breaks out in the U.S.?
- Does our temperate climate work to our advantage?
- If you get the flu this fall or winter, how can you be sure it’s not Ebola? And what other diseases mimic its symptoms?
- What is the progression of Ebola symptoms?
- What’s the difference between an airborne virus and air droplet transmission of a disease? Could Ebola mutate into an airborne virus?
- Could sending thousands of our troops to the hot zones endanger both them and the rest of us?
- Could this dreaded disease be more devastating to one race than to another?
- How long might the Ebola outbreak go on before it burns itself out?
- Could other diseases brought across our southern border pose a greater threat?
- Will we see mass quarantines in the U.S.?
- Is colloidal silver effective against Ebola?
- What are some of the supplies you should have on hand to care for someone suffering from Ebola? Will we experience a run on those supplies?
- What about effective drugs or a vaccine?
Get an Information Inoculation
It should be obvious that maintaining a healthy immune system is a must, not only for being prepared to face Ebola, but for other ailments as well. Find products to keep you healthy on the Health & Nutrition page in the DestinySurvival Prep Mart.
Finally, Dr. Bones encourages you and me not to panic. There’s time to get prepared, but we must take the responsibility to do so. He says we can handle medical situations in most disasters with some knowledge and by making the effort to get prepared.
If you have any thoughts on what you’ve read above or heard in this week’s DestinySurvival Radio, feel free to leave a comment below.
Stay safe and well. And, of course, keep prepping.
The situation with Ebola in the U.S. changes more frequently than I can report on this site, but you can find important info from Dr. Bones as of mid October 2014 on the chances of Airborne Ebola
Order a copy of The Ebola Survival Handbook, by Joseph Alton, M.D. (Dr. Bones).
You might also like Ebola: Understanding and Preparing for an Outbreak, by Alex Smith.