David was my guest on DestinySurvival Radio yesterday, and I’ll be on his show sometime later. But before I summarize what we talked about on my show, let me tell you about him.
- David is a former U.S. Marine Corps non-commissioned officer, correctional supervisor and firearms instructor for the Tennessee Department of Correction. He is now employed as full time Emergency Manager for State Government.
- He has a BS in Emergency Management with a minor in Homeland Security.
- He’s been a member of the firearm community all his adult life.
- He’s an NRA member, training counselor and recruiter.
- David is licensed in several states to instruct conceal and carry classes.
- He’s a member of several organizations related to his profession and interests, including the Oath Keepers.
- He has completed numerous courses through the Department of Homeland Security on anti-terrorism, emergency management and more.
- He opeerates the Shepherd School at www.TNGun.com.
David’s one of the nicest people to talk to, and he’s a prepper, too, like you and me. It’s not just theory and rhetoric for him because he’s into quite an array of prepping activities in his everyday home life. He gardens in raised beds, keeps bees, raises rabbits and chickens, and, of course, shoots.
The Shepherd School started with an emphasis on firearms instruction, but David says it’s branching out into other instructional areas. His belief is that if more of us are prepared, the more secure each of us is.
Readingabout something is one thing. Doing it is another. David says he’s learned a lot by doing. Tasks he thought were impossible aren’t so difficult once they’re started. You can view videos demonstrating David’s prepping endeavors on his YouTube channel.
We talked about his book Understanding the Use of Handguns for Self-Defense, which came out a couple of years ago. Amazon describes it as “A priceless education for new handgun owners. An important refresher for experienced carriers.”
I’ve made it a DestinySurvival Amazon Pick. It’s highly rated. Reviewers say it’s easy to understand and is good for women shooters. It covers…
- Tips for selecting the right gun for you
- An exploration of shooting techniques
- Guidance on developing an “armed” mindset
- A realistic look at what happens in a gunfight
- Crucial advice for dealing with law enforcement
- Suggestions for dealing with anti-gun sentiment
He talks sensibly about how to choose a handgun and caliber that’s right for you. And he teaches balance. Firearms are important, but they should be one piece of your preparedness puzzle.
He believes there should be greater understanding between preppers and government officials. While the government doesn’t always show consistency in what they say about prepping and preppers, according to David, several emergency management workers are preppers.
Being a new parent sheds a new light on prepping for David. We talked about the parallels between parenting and prepping. Both offer chances to learn and grow.
David and I agree on the need to be flexible and adaptable. We’re both generalists with interests in a number of things.
Order Understanding the Use of Handguns for Self-Defense by clicking on its image below. You’ll be taken to the Amazon page where it’s featured. Add it to your cart to start the order process.
At the conclusion of our time together, David gave an excellent piece of advice. Practice your plan.
Are you practicing your plan? Feel free to leave a comment below and tell me a little about how you’re doing with that.