It seems so simple. Any time you’re stopped by a policeman, show proper respect and use common sense.
But what if what you think is common sense gets you into trouble? How and when can you avoid that trouble?
As Steve Silverman of FlexYourRights.org will tell you, the police can legally trick you. They may misrepresent the authority they have and could cause you to say more than you should. Or you might consent to being searched when you don’t have to be.
Steve Silverman was my guest again this week on DestinySurvival Radio. His first visit was on DestinySurvival Radio for September 8, 2011.
We picked up where we left off last time by discussing the important issue of the difference between reasonable suspicion and probable cause. Obviously, you and I don’t want to be seen doing anything that looks like we’re committing a crime. As my dad might put it, “Keep your nose clean.”
Other issues we discussed include:
- Is it possible to avoid roadblocks or checkpoints?
- What constitutes resisting arrest?
- What if a SWAT team wrongly busts into your home?
- How should you behave toward police when you participate in a political demonstration or other act of civil disobedience ?
- What if you’re stopped for taking pictures?
- How should you deal with TSA officials at the airport?
- What should you do if you’re stopped by private security guards at the mall or stadium?
- Is all of this out the window if martial law is declared?
Several key points came through consistently in our conversation.
- Keep calm and stay cool.
- Know your Constitutional rights.
- Assert your rights without letting your emotions get the better of you.
- Take a noncompliant and nonviolent approach.
These ideas are fleshed out in the two videos “10 Rules for Dealing with Police” and “BUSTED: The Citizen’s Guide to Surviving Police Encounters.” If you haven’t viewed them yet, buy them from FlexYourRights.org or watch them below.
You might be tempted at first to think these videos aren’t relevant to you because you’re not like the people featured. Maybe they’re not your crowd. Maybe they do things you wouldn’t do. But think again. The examples and information may be more helpful for you one day than you can imagine now.
Hear my full interview with Steve Silverman on DestinySurvival Radio for September 22, 2011.