Thoughts on the New Great Depression and Survival Optimism

            You may be aware that there’s a poll question on the sidebar to the right, which gives you an opportunity to share your opinion on the given question.  Please take a minute to vote on this month’s question.  I look forward to your responses.


February’s question asked, “Do you believe we’re in a second Great Depression?”  A resounding 92% voted Yes, while the remaining 8% voted No.  Of course, a poll on a blog can hardly be considered scientific and may not reflect the mentality of society at large, but it gives me important information I take seriously about what my readers are thinking and feeling.


            I have to admit that I was surprised by the overwhelming percentage who think we’re now in a new Great Depression.  Apparently those readers who voted don’t buy the media’s use of the word “recession” and the associations that go with it.  I suppose that’s to be expected of those who are preparing for adversity.


            The now late Paul Harvey often expressed optimism and discouraged pessimism.  His attitude was if people think we’re having hard times we will indeed have them.  Granted there’s a psychological element to what’s been going on in recent months, but to me it begs the question of what psychological element was at work in the optimism of previous years.  What mentality fostered the creation of the derivatives and the creative accounting practices in which the financial systems around the world became so deeply entrenched?  How can a positive mental attitude restore trust in a system that has become faulty from the top down?  How can optimism create real, non-fiat money to buy your groceries?  I could go on, but perhaps you get my point.


            I don’t think “preps” or survivalists are unduly pessimistic.  I believe anyone preparing for adversity has optimism, but it is placed in different things apart from the so called system or establishment as we know it now.  And that optimism has to be put into action.  Long live realistic optimism!


            Incidentally, I mean no disrespect to Paul Harvey in my remarks above.  In fact, while I have no idea what the family’s memorial wishes might be, I think it would be a fitting tribute to Mr. Harvey to make contributions to the Salvation Army, an organization he supported.  You can click here to go to their national web site where you can discover how to support them locally or nationally.  The Salvation Army provides valuable services in times of difficulty or disasters.  I recently saw a local TV news item in which the Salvation Army appealed for donations to their area food bank.  Your contribution could help someone survive troubled times near you right now.


Author: John Wesley Smith

John Wesley Smith writes and podcasts from his home in Central Missouri. His goal is to help preppers as he continues along his own preparedness journey.